Friday, August 15, 2008

Chapter 29

Chapter 29
Lauren woke up a few hours later to the sound of someone quietly opening Sidney’s door. She opened her eyes and saw Nathalie standing in the doorway.
“I’m so sorry to just intrude. I just wanted to make sure he was okay. I heard him leave this morning and I wasn’t sure where he was headed.” Nathalie whispered, trying not to wake Sidney up.
“He went for a run. I think that really helped him clear his head, because he’s finally sleeping.”
Nathalie nodded her head and smiled. “Good. Well I’m going to make some breakfast for the kids. Don’t wake him, though. I’ll make him something when he wakes up later.” Nathalie quietly closed the door behind her.
Lauren laid there in Sidney’s arms for a few minutes longer, enjoying the feel of his arms around her. She started to slide out of bed, and at first his grip tightened, but then she managed to slide out and covered him up with the blanket again. She leaned down and gently kissed his forehead. She pulled on a pair of sweatpants and joined Nathalie in the kitchen.
“Did he sleep at all last night?” Nathalie asked.
“I don’t think so.” Lauren let out a long sigh. “I know this is just killing him.”
“It is tough. And he’ll probably have some ups and downs over the next few days. He’ll be okay though. He’ll bounce back.” Nathalie said.
“I hope so. I just hate seeing him so down, knowing there’s nothing I can do to make it better.” Lauren said.
“Just keep loving him as much as you do. That will definitely help him.” Nathalie said with a smile.
“Thanks Nathalie. I really appreciate all of your advice.”
A moment later, Austin came in and sat down on one of the stools as the island. “Morning, Mom. Morning, Lauren. Lauren, is Sidney okay? He looked so sad last night.”
Lauren smiled. “He is kind of sad right now, but he’s going to be just fine. In fact, what I think he needs right now is some breakfast! Want to help me wake him up?”
Austin jumped up and practically dragged Lauren towards Sidney’s room. When they got to the door, Lauren put her finger to her lips and they crept quietly into his room. They each climbed onto the bed on either side of Sidney and quietly whispered in his ears. “Hey Sidney! Sidney, it’s time to wake up. Mom and Lauren made us breakfast!” Austin said, trying to contain his excitement about this adventure. Sidney finally stirred and grinned, not yet opening his eyes.
“I see you found a friend, Lauren.” He said, his long eyelashes fluttering as he turned to look at her.
“We make a good team, don’t we, Austin?” She said with a giggle. Austin nodded his head eagerly. Lauren leaned down to plant a quick kiss on Sidney’s lips.
“Eww, gross!” Austin said, scrunching up her nose. Sidney laughed and pulled Austin over and started tickling him. He started screaming and giggling. Lauren saved him and Lauren and Austin walked out to the kitchen. Sidney threw on a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt and joined the family a moment later.
“Good morning, Sidney!” Nathalie said cheerfully.
“Morning, Nat. Breakfast smells amazing.” He replied, wiping the sleep from his eyes.
“Well, dig in everyone.” The family enjoyed breakfast together. Mario’s children dominated most of the conversation with their playful bantering. Sidney laughed along with them, but still seemed pretty quiet. After breakfast, Sidney and Lauren took their coffee out onto the patio and sat on the swing.
“I love you, Sidney. I know that won’t make this better, but I just want you to know that.” Lauren said, lacing her fingers with his.
He smiled and kissed her hand. “I know, babe. And I love you too, more than anything. I’m sorry I’m in such a funk. I think I need to go home for a while and relax.”
“Well then it’s a good thing I happen to have two plane tickets to Halifax for tomorrow afternoon, isn’t it?”
His eyes grew wide and his lips curled into a smile as he looked at her. “Seriously?”
“Seriously. I booked them this morning, before you woke up. I promised Taylor she could show me around Cole Harbour, and I think some home town love is exactly what you need right now.”
He leaned over and kissed her passionately. “I love you. You are the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me.” He whispered, his forehead pressed against hers.
“Back at ya, babe.” She said, kissing him again.
They spent the rest of the day watching movies with the Lemieux children, and then Lauren went home to pack for their trip and Sidney went to dinner with the team.
Lauren packed her suitcase and spent some time hanging out with her parents. After a few hours, she said good bye and went back to the Lemieux’s. She didn’t want Sidney to be alone, and she figured she would pack his things for him. She packed his suitcase and then hung out in his room, watching TV. She wanted to wait up for him, but eventually, she was overcome with sleep.
Sidney returned around midnight and was a little surprised to see Lauren’s car in the driveway. They had planned on meeting at the airport the next afternoon. He hoped she was okay. When he got to his room, he found a note taped to his door. He ran his finger delicately Lauren’s neat handwriting.
Sidney,
I tried to stay awake until you got home, but in case I’m sleeping when you get here, I just wanted to say goodnight and I love you. Every single thing you do amazes me.
Love you until the end of time,
Lauren

He smiled to himself as he quietly opened in the door. His stopped in the doorway for a moment, allowing the light from the hallway to cast a warm glow over Lauren. She lay there sleeping, cuddled up with one of his pillows.
Sidney closed the door quietly and slipped out of his jeans and pulled off his sweater and the t-shirt underneath. He carefully crawled into bed behind her and pulled her gently into his arms. She woke up and snuggled her back into his muscular chest. “Hey.” She said groggily.
He kissed the nape of her neck. “I’m sorry I woke you,” he whispered. “I love you. Sweet dreams.”
“I’m glad I woke up. I wanted to kiss you goodnight.” Lauren replied, turning around to kiss his full, red lips. He smiled into her lips and kissed her passionately. A moment later, she settled into his arms and they both fell asleep.
The next morning, Sidney went to the arena to clean out his stall and to spend some time with his teammates and conduct some interviews. Lauren stayed behind to finish packing and then around noon, Nathalie drove Lauren to the arena so they could pick up Sidney on the way to the airport.
“Lauren!” Jordan yelled when she walked into the dressing room. He enveloped her in a bug hug. “So I hear he’s taking you away from all of us?”
Jordan pouted his bottom lip at her. “Don’t worry Jordy, we’ll be back in a couple weeks, in time for Mario’s golf tournament. You won’t even have time to miss me before we’ll be back!”
“Well you tell Sid that he’d better not keep you away any longer than that!” She giggled at him. Her and Jordan had clicked instantly and he had quickly become a good friend of hers.
“Watch it, Gronk, or I’ll keep her to myself forever!” Sidney said, sliding an arm across Lauren’s shoulders as he joined the conversation. “Ready to go, babe?”
The airplane ride seemed to drag on. Sidney was getting very restless and desperately wanted to be home. Lauren giggled at how excited he was.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet, as usual. Can't wait to see how the visit to Cole Harbour goes...

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

So I lied, I decided to stop watching TV & come finish reading. It`s a very intense, emotional, & passionate story & I love it. I can`t wait to see what happens next.

Sam said...

I can't wait for the next chapter. I love your story, it's quite addicting, I check it like twenty-seven times a day. =]