Chapter 33
Sidney woke up the next morning when he felt Lauren get up out of his arms and go into the bathroom. She emerged a few minutes later, looking pale and miserable.
“Baby, are you okay?” he asked in a concerned tone as she crawled back into bed.
“I’m sorry I woke you up. I feel like crap. Go back to sleep, darlin’.” She said, curling up into a ball.
“What’s wrong? Was it something you ate last night?” He asked, terrified that his favorite Chinese take-out place had given her food poisoning or something.
“No, it’s not that. It’s just regular Crohn’s disease stomach stuff. I’ve been in remission for a few months, so I figured I’d probably flare soon. It always happens that way – it’s just my luck, I guess.”
He pulled her protectively into his arms. “I’m sorry, Lauren. I hate that you have to deal with this. I wish it were me instead.”
“I don’t.” she said firmly. “I wouldn’t wish this on anyone, especially you. It’d break my heart to see you suffer through this.”
“Well that’s what it’s doing to me now. It’s not fair.”
“I know. But it’s life. It’s kind of like how you have to deal with the media and attention all the time. It’s not fair to you.”
“In a way, I chose this life, though. I didn’t choose the attention, but I chose to play hockey, and I guess that comes with the package. You didn’t choose this.”
“No.” she chuckled in agreement. “I’m just going to try and go back to sleep for a while.”
Lauren slept for a little while longer and Sidney quietly slipped out of bed and went downstairs. About an hour later, he went up to check on her and she was awake, lying in bed watching TV. She still looked like she hadn’t gotten much sleep.
“Hey baby. Feeling any better?” He asked, leaning against the doorway.
“Not really.” She admitted, patting the bed next to her, signaling him to join her. He lay down on the bed next to her and she snuggled up against his chest. “I’m sorry I’m no fun today.” She said sadly.
He kissed her forehead. “Quit saying you’re sorry. You haven’t done anything wrong. And I love just laying around with you – we should do it more often. Can I do anything for you? Do you want anything to eat?” he asked.
“No, no food. Maybe just some Gatorade?” She asked, looking up at him with sad eyes.
“I’ll be right back.” He said, kissing her forehead again and sliding out of bed and disappearing out the door. He returned a minute later with two bottles of Gatorade and some DVDs.
“Have I told you lately that I love you?” She asked as he handed her one of the bottles after opening it for her.
“Yeah, but I still love hearing you say that.” He said, putting a DVD in the player and joining her under the covers.
They watched the movie for a while before Lauren curled up into a ball and moaned in pain.
“Lauren, what’s wrong? This doesn’t seem good at all.” Sidney’s eyes were wide with concern as he gently rubbed her back.
“I’ll be fine. The pain will pass in a few minutes.”
A few minutes later, her breathing went back to normal and she was able to stretch her body out again. Sidney pulled her protectively into his arms and held her tightly around the waist.
“Better?” He asked.
“Yeah. Being with you helps.” She managed a grin and he kissed her softly on the forehead.
“You’re a terrible liar, you know that?” He said.
She smiled sheepishly. “I just don’t want you to worry.”
“Well I can’t help that. Nobody likes to see the one they love hurting.”
“I guess now you know how I feel every time some bastard checks you into the boards or slashes their stick across your back.”
He chuckled. “Fair enough.”
They continued watching movies for a while in silence, and Lauren drifted off to sleep. When she woke up, Sidney was nowhere to be seen. She looked at the clock. 7:27. She had slept most of the afternoon and into the evening.
She crawled out of bed and threw on a pair of Sidney’s sweatpants and pulled on one of his old sweaters and padded down the stairs. She could hear hushed voices in the living room. When she walked in, Sidney’s eyes grew wide.
“I’m so sorry, baby, did we wake you up?” He asked as she curled up next to him on the couch.
“No, I didn’t even know you were down here until I was half way down the steps. I figured I should actually get up since I’ve been in bed all day.”
“Sidney told me you’re not feeling well. I should probably leave you guys alone.” The other man in the room said, standing up.
“Oh, please don’t leave on my behalf. I’m actually feeling better.” Sidney shot her a questioning glance, and she laced her fingers with his. “Really! I am.” She turned towards the other man. “I’m Lauren, Sidney’s girlfriend. He forgets his manners sometimes.”
The man chuckled. “That’s Sid. I’m Chris, an old teammate.”
Sidney rolled his eyes at both of them. “Apparently you are feeling better. Your sarcasm is back.”
She just grinned at him.
“So, Sidney, you’ll never guess who I saw running by your house when I got here earlier. You remember Jimmy from PeeWee?”
Lauren immediately tensed up when she heard his name and it made her blood run cold to think he had been outside Sidney’s house. What was he doing there?
Sidney noticed her tension and pulled her closer against his chest. “Oh really? That’s weird. I saw him randomly in Montreal a few months ago. And then again at a game in Pittsburgh a while after that. Weird.”
“That is weird. I hadn’t seen him since PeeWee.”
The conversation continued for a while until Chris thanked them for their hospitality and said he needed to go.
Sidney followed him out to the door and said goodbye. As he shut the door, Lauren appeared in the foyer. “Sidney, make sure the door is locked.” She said quietly.
“I always do.” He said, clicking the deadbolt into place. “Are you okay?”
“Yeah, I just got nervous when he mentioned Jimmy. Why would he be outside your house? Does he live back here?” She asked.
“I don’t know. I’ll check with the housing association tomorrow. But don’t worry about him. I’m here, and I will always protect you.” He said, pulling her into his arms. She knew he was right. She never felt safer than when she was in his arms, but she still couldn’t shake the feeling that something was weird about Jimmy.
Monday, August 18, 2008
Chapter 33
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
As usual, love it, and love that you updated pretty quick. Keep on writing it, girlfriend, it is so good and one of my favorites (bet you can guess the other one?)
Aww I feel bad for Lauren.
Loved the update though. hehe
More soon!!
I hope Lauren feels better soon - poor girl it must be horrible.
I really hope Jimmy does not cause trouble but he gives me the creeps the way he keeps popping up everywhere!!
Hope to read more soon Lauren.
great chapter as always lol.
you're seriously such an amazing writer. =]
can't wait for the next update!
Great chapter & can`t wait to see what happens next.
Post a Comment