Chapter 37
Even after Jack had come to talk to him, Sidney still couldn’t work up the courage to call Lauren. Colby had called him as well, after Sidney’s mom had called him and asked him to talk to Sidney. His mom! He knew everyone was worried, but Sidney wished they would just leave him alone. Talking about Lauren all the time was just making it harder for him. When he stopped answering Colby’s calls, he, too, showed up at Sidney’s door one day.
“Sid, look, you screwed up here. Admit it and beg for her forgiveness.” Colby said, not trying to sugarcoat anything for Sidney.
“Army, it’s just not that simple…” Sidney began. He felt like he was constantly having to explain himself, and was beginning to feel like a broken record player.
“No, Sidney, it is that simple. I got the chance to spend some time with Lauren during the Finals, and she’s the One. Plain and simple. Didn’t you see the way she looked at you?”
Sidney did see the way Lauren looked at him. It always sent tingles of pleasure down his spine. It wasn’t like she thought he was the only guy in the world, just the only one she wanted to have her heart. He had always hoped that she saw the same immensity of love in his eyes when he looked back at her.
“Stop feeling sorry for yourself and go get her! If you don’t, I swear you’ll regret it for the rest of your life. You’re such an old soul, Sidney, and she’s your mate. She’s the best thing in your life, better than hockey will ever be. If you don’t go after her, you’re not the man I thought you were.” Colby’s words stabbed like a knife, but Sidney knew he was right. As much as the thought of being with her and something bad happening to her scared him more than anything, the fear of being without her scared him even more. He knew what he had to do.
Reluctantly, Lauren flew to Hilton Head with Leanna later that afternoon. She had booked them in a luxury vacation villa, each woman having their own bedroom and bathroom. Lauren stepped out onto the private balcony and took a deep breath. Sidney would love it here. She immediately thought, then kicked herself for thinking of him. No, he’s in the past now. Time to move on.
“Lauren, you ready to go?” Leanna called from the living room. Lauren took one more look at the quiet marshes surrounding the resort and then followed Leanna out of the hotel.
Leanna had made reservations at a restaurant right on the water, and again, the water reminded Lauren of Sidney. She thought of how much fun they had had tooling around on the lake in Enfield, and again, she did her best to push those thoughts out of her head. Lauren raised her eyebrows at Leanna when she ordered a bottle of champagne.
“Le, I’m not exactly in a celebrating mood.” Lauren said quietly.
“Why not? You’re healthy,” Leanna said pointedly, knowing this wasn’t always the case for Lauren, “and we’re on vacation in a gorgeous place. And you’re with the best sister in the world.” She said, winking at Lauren.
“I suppose that’s true…” Lauren said, smiling at her sister. “Thanks for bringing me here, Le. You were right – getting away from everything is just what I needed.”
They enjoyed a leisurely dinner, laughing about old family memories. After they left the restaurant, they sat on the beach for a while, just watching the people go by. Lauren had managed to keep her mind off Sidney for most of the evening, and had surprised herself with the number of times Leanna had been able to make her laugh.
It was late by the time they got back to the hotel. They walked into the living room and Lauren’s eyes grew wide with shock when she saw what was sitting on the coffee table. A solitary pink rose in a crystal vase, with a note folded neatly beside it. She knew immediately that it was from Sidney. She looked over at Leanna, but Leanna shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know anything about it. Read the note, crazy girl!” After she said that, Leanna disappeared into her bedroom, leaving Lauren alone with her thoughts. And the note. She stared at it for a few minutes before she got the courage to pick it up. She immediately recognized Sidney’s smooth handwriting. Carefully, as if it would break in her hands, she unfolded the note and began to read.
Lauren,
I came by the hotel, but they wouldn’t let me into your room, and I couldn’t wait in the lobby. I’m staying in Suite 3206. I have so many things to say to you, but I’ll understand if you don’t show up. I hope you like the rose – I would have filled the entire suite with roses if I thought it would somehow make things better – but I know it can’t fix what I’ve done. For now, I’ll just be in my room, hoping you will give me a chance…
-Sidney
Lauren’s hands were shaking as she finished reading the letter. She was just starting to accept the idea of moving on with her life without him, and now, in true Sidney fashion, he had gone and turned her world upside again.
**Flashback**
Sidney went through at least twenty sheets of paper trying to figure out what to say to Lauren. He knew that if he could just see her, talk to her, the words he wanted to say would come to him. She always had a way of putting him at ease like that. But the hotel staff said she was out with her sister, and they couldn’t allow him into her room. So the best he could do was leave a note. He pondered over every word of the letter, making sure everything was perfect. He agonized over the signature. He badly wanted to tell her that he loved her, but he didn’t want to scare her off before he even got the chance to talk to her. So he simply signed his name, and prayed she would give him a chance to fix things.
**End Flashback**
Sidney spent most of the evening pacing the floor. He had tried watching TV for a while, but nothing could hold his interest. He’d thought about going back up to her room, knocking on the door to see if she was there. But he didn’t want to look like a stalker, so he just waited. And waited. He nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard a knock at the door.
Saturday, August 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
OMG
Please tell me shes at the door.
More ASAP!!!
I don't think I can take much more, please let her be at the door, I am sooo with kimmy on this one...oh, and update soon, or else I will be sent over the edge...
Ahhh, don't stop!! Update soon please! :)
I really hope it is Lauren at the door, this story just keeps breaking my heart - they need to be together. More soon please.
Ahhhhhh!
What a cliffhanger! Amazing chapter, I can't wait until you update!!
Post a Comment