Monday, June 8, 2009

Chapter 87

A year passed. Sidney and Lauren settled into their new home, frequently having the team over to celebrate wins. They still spent most of the summer at the house on the lake in Nova Scotia, but Pittsburgh was their true home. They had decided on a June wedding, after the season was over.

A few days before the wedding, friends and family started arriving in town. The day before the wedding, Lauren spent most of the day being pampered, getting a manicure and a pedicure with her bridesmaids and Sidney’s mom, her mom, and Nathalie. After the rehearsal dinner, the ladies and Sidney arrived back at Sidney and Lauren’s house. Sidney had to pack his bag because he was going to stay at the Lemieux’s for the night, since Lauren wouldn’t break tradition and let him see her before the wedding.

While the rest of the women looked through takeout menus to determine where they were going to order a late-night pizza from, Sidney stole Lauren away and they went upstairs to their bedroom for a few minutes alone.

“Baby, are you sure I have to go? I’m going to miss you too much.” Sidney said, wrapping his arms around her waist and kissing her neck.

“I’m going to miss you too. Hopefully tonight goes by really fast. I hate the idea of sleeping all by myself when you’ll only be a few blocks away.”

“I don’t have to go, you know.” Sidney said, a hopeful smile on his face.

“It’s tradition. You, of all people, should understand that. If you get to grow that awful scruffy playoff beard every year, then I get to have my wedding traditions.”

“I sure hope your wedding traditions include a traditional wedding night.” Sidney said, continuing to kiss her neck and the sensitive skin behind her ear.

“It wouldn’t be right if we didn’t finish the wedding night off right, would it?” Lauren said, smiling into his lips.

“No, babe, it would be terribly wrong.”

They continued standing there for a few minutes, whispering back and forth and stealing kisses. Finally, Sidney looked at the alarm clock and sighed. “I should get going. Mario and my dad will be wondering where I’m at.”

“Five more minutes…they’ll understand if you’re late. You’re the groom, after all.”

“I like the way you think.” Sidney said, pulling her even closer against his body.

Five minutes passed and pretty soon they were both sulking as they continued to kiss each other good bye.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Sidney murmured in between kisses.

“Promise?” Lauren said, looking at him. “I mean, you’re not going to go fall in love with someone else tonight, are you?”

Sidney smiled. “Babe, think about it. It took me 21 years to find you. Do you really think I’m capable of finding someone else that’s willing to put up with me overnight?”

“I think you’re capable of anything.”

“Well then just keep in mind that I am absolutely, positively, crazy in love with you and it would be impossible for me to ever find someone else who makes me feel the way you do.”

“I love you. I can’t wait to see you tomorrow.” She said, kissing him again.

“I love you too. And I can’t wait to see you either. Have a good night.” Sidney replied, kissing her softly on the lips.

“You too. Sweet dreams.”

“That shouldn’t be too hard with you as my muse.” Sidney smiled, kissing her one last time before picking up his bag and leading her downstairs.

They kissed one more time at the door, causing a chorus of “awwws” from the women in the house. “Good night everyone! I will see all of you beautiful ladies tomorrow!” Sidney called out.

“Bye baby.” Sidney whispered to Lauren, kissing her forehead one last time.

Lauren closed the door behind him and turned around with a heavy sigh.

“I think we’ll need to make sure all the doors and windows are locked tonight so that boy doesn’t try to sneak back in. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone so smitten.” Nathalie chuckled. The rest of the women nodded in agreement.

“At least you don’t seem nervous.” Leanna observed. “Remember the day before my wedding? I was a wreck.”

“I don’t feel nervous, just excited. I can’t wait to marry that man.” Lauren said wistfully.

The next morning, Lauren woke up and opened the curtains to find the sun shining in the perfectly blue sky.

She picked up her phone off the nightstand and dialed the first speed dial. He answered before the second ring.

“Babe? Are you okay? What’s wrong?” Sidney said, his voice filled with panic and concern.

Lauren smiled, even though he couldn’t see her. “I’m fine. Everything’s fine. I just missed you and I wanted to say good morning.”

“Oh.” Sidney said in relief. “I thought it was bad luck for the bride to talk to the groom before the wedding.”

“I think it’s only bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding. And since you can’t see me, we’re good to go. I just wanted to hear your voice.” Lauren explained.

“You’re not getting cold feet, are you?” Sidney asked, a hint of teasing in his voice.

“No way. I’m just anxious to see you, that’s all.”

“I’m anxious to see you too. I just can’t even imagine how beautiful you’re going to look. Who am I kidding? You always look beautiful.”

“You’re sweet. Hopefully I’ll live up to your expectations.”

Sidney laughed. “You’ve already surpassed them. I guess I should let you go now so you and the ladies can get all dolled up.”

“See you at the church. Love you.”

“Love you too. I can’t wait to see you coming down that aisle.”

“Was that Sidney you were talking to? Couldn’t stay away, could you?” Lauren’s mom asked, appearing in the doorway.

“Yeah, I just wanted to say good morning and talk to him for a few minutes.”

“Well it looks like he couldn’t stop thinking about you either. Jordan dropped these off a few minutes ago.” Her mom said, producing a dozen pink roses from behind her back. “I guess Sidney sent him over with them. Here’s the card.” Her mom said, handing her an envelope and leaving the roses on the dresser before exiting the room.

Lauren smiled and bent down to smell the fragrant flowers before opening the envelope.

Lauren,

These are the last flowers I will ever send to my fiancĂ©e. From now on, I’ll be sending them to my wife. I love the sound of that. I am so excited for our life together. I can’t wait to see you later today.

Love you forever, Sidney

Lauren sent Sidney a quick text message.

The flowers are gorgeous – thank you. I can’t wait for the next time you send some. ;)

Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you – as I always am. See you at 2!!!! J J

Lauren headed downstairs to start the day with mimosas and French toast with the ladies before heading off to the salon to have her hair and makeup done. After that, she returned home to finish packing her overnight bag. She and Sidney were staying in the honeymoon suite at the Omni William Penn hotel downtown that night, and then leaving for their honeymoon in Europe a few days later.

Meanwhile, Sidney had spent the day relaxing at the Lemieux’s and even played some hockey in the driveway with Austin and Colby and Jordan.

“So you sure you’re ready to do this, man? After today, there’s no turning back.” Colby said.

“That’s exactly the way I want it. Besides, I’m sure your wife would like hearing your wonderful outlook on marriage.”

“Mel would just roll her eyes at me, just like she always does. But seriously, it’s not so bad. She even still lets me hang out with my friends sometimes.”

Sidney rolled his eyes. “I’m getting married – not going to prison. Besides, Lauren loves my friends. If she ever tried to keep me away, that would mean she’d have to stay away from you guys too, and I don’t think she could ever do that.”

“Yeah, she does love me, doesn’t she?” Jordan said, that infamous smirk on his face.

“I don’t know…Austin here might give you a run for your money. She goes to quite a few of his games and practices.”

“Maybe she has a crush on you, Austin.” Colby said, causing Austin to blush profusely.

“Go Austin! Dude, she’s hot.” Jordan said, high-fiving him.

“Hey! That’s my almost-wife you’re talking about!” Sidney exclaimed.

“Dude, she is hot.” Colby agreed.

“How would you like it if we talked about how hot your wife is?”

“I would join in. Have you seen her? She’s gorgeous.” Colby said proudly.

“Fair enough. I think we better get inside and hit the showers.” Sidney said, looking at his watch.

“We have plenty of time, bro.” Colby said.

“I don’t want to be late to my own wedding!” Sidney said, his cheeks turning pink.

“Are you nervous?” Colby asked, staring him down.

“Nope. Just excited.” Sidney said, giving him a lopsided grin. “Today’s going to be the best day ever.”

After they gathered up everything they needed from the house, the women headed down to the church to get dressed right before the ceremony. As Liz and Leanna helped Lauren into her dress, she couldn’t keep the smile off her face.

“I’ve never seen a bride so calm before her wedding.” Lauren’s mom said.

“What is there to be nervous about? Unless Sidney’s not here yet, in which case I’m just going to kill him.” Lauren said.

Her mom chuckled. “He’s here. I saw him a few minutes ago.”

“You did? How’s he look? What did he say?” Lauren fired questions.

Her mom smiled. “He looks dashing, as he always does. That man and his groomsmen certainly wear tuxedos well. And I just saw him from across the room, so he didn’t say anything – he just smiled. It seemed like he was just excited to get the show on the road.”

“Well, let’s not keep him waiting any longer.” Lauren said, waving her mother out of the room to be seated.

Sidney stood up at the front of the church, with Colby at his side and Jack right next to him. He couldn’t choose between them, and Lauren couldn’t choose between Leanna and Liz, so in the end they decided to have two best men and two maids (or in Leanna’s case, matron) of honor. Jordan and Lauren’s brother Jake were the groomsmen, and Beth and Taylor were the bridesmaids.

As the bridesmaids made their way down the aisle, Sidney got more and more anxious. Not that he didn’t enjoy being surrounded by his friends and family, but at that moment, there was only one person in the world he wanted to see. People always talk about how little girls dream of their wedding day, but Sidney had been dreaming of this day for a long time too. When he first broke into the NHL and exploded into fame, he couldn’t help but think how difficult it would be for him to meet someone who loved him for who he was and not his occupation. He could’ve never imagined it would be as easy as lending his shampoo to a charming girl after practice one day.

Now his life was perfect. They had been through a lot together, but she had never left his side. She held him in her arms and kissed him when they lost, and lost her voice cheering for him when he went on scoring streaks. Lauren waited up for him when he came home from long road trips, and sat proudly next to him as they rode down the streets of Pittsburgh in the Stanley Cup victory parade. She understood him better than anyone, and he understood her too. He could sense when she wanted to talk and when she just wanted to sit in silence. He knew when to wrap his arms around her and when to give her some space. He knew all her favorites, what her dreams were, and how to make her eyes light up. They weren’t each other’s ‘other half’, because each of them were whole before they met, but they completed each other, made each other better, stronger, happier.

The music changed and the minister motioned for everyone to stand. Colby patted Sidney on the back, but Sidney’s concentration was focused completely on the doors in the back of the church, that were slowly being opened to reveal the woman who would be his future, his life, his true love, his heart and soul.

The End



**So, don't hate me. It had to end sometime, so it's only fitting that it should be done with chapter 87 :). And there's an epilogue coming. I think you'll like it.**

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did finish it! I can't believe you been writing this for over a year! Great job! Loved the ending and I'm excited for the epilogue!! The dress was beautiful!

Val said...

FABULOUS! I'm with Meli that I can't believe you have been writing this for over a year...and even though it has ended, it was a great read. Can't wait for the epilogue and, yep, loved the dress!

Beautiful, girl, just beautiful!

Rebel Heart said...

I agree with the chapter ending* lol
Wonderful story!
Can't wait for the epilogue!
And that dress was gorgeous*

Tay Tay said...

Gosh, I can't believe it's been a whole year. It seems like yesterday I began to read it, but I have been here from the very start!

This chapter gave me chills, and I'm not gonna lie, I started bawling at the end. I. Am. Such. A. DORK!

Thanks for continuing to write this amazing story... it became religious for me to check it at least once a day. I can't wait for the epilogue!

:) Chapter 87 eh? Pretty clever!

Anonymous said...

aw it's over :[
in the epilogue, are you gonna describe the wedding, i wanna hear how sweet sid's vows were gonna be!!
can't wait for the epilogue!!

EHisCDN said...

OMGosh I can't believe it's over!

The dress was beautiful though, nice, simple and classy.

I'm so excited for the epilogue, I see children in their future.

Caitlin said...

yeah i'm so looking forward to the epilouge. the wedding, the vows, maybe one last steamy night? Their kids and everything! I love it!

Aeryn said...

"Sniff," that was perfect! The perfect ending for Lauren and Sidney. You had me tearing up.

Like everyone else said, I can't believe that was a year ago that I found this story and have been reading it religiously.

I like your thinkn' with the ending on 87, I'm planning to do the same IF I ever get there.

Great job and I can't wait for the epilogue!!! :D

haleys_famous_ said...

awh i'm so happy they're married finally and they are perfect together!
your work is amazing and i can never stop reading.
i remember i read about 40 chapters in one day.
good luck with anything else you create. you are an awesome writer. (:
can't wait for the epilogue like everyone else!

Alexa said...

NOOOOOOOO!!!! The story has ended! I don't know what I'm gonna do now, Lauren! hahaha. But great ending, nonetheless. I loved this story from the beginning, and can't wait to read your new one!

gilld22 said...

I cant believe the story is finished. It was excellent, I am excited for the epilogue. You going to write another story???...

Well done with the amazing story Lauren.

Kylie @ Faux Hawks and Follies said...

This is so bittersweet for me. I adore Lauren & Sidney, so it makes me sad that their story is over.

You've done a beautiful job with it.

I can't wait for the epilogue.

It's kind of crazy to think about it, but this story has literally changed my life forever....
♥ ♥ ♥

mer said...

le sniffle...

PK_37 said...

I can't believe its done=O
Great chapter...great story=)


I hope you consider writing another story.

Jess said...

An apt [87] and lovely ending! :)

Kristyyy said...

An amazing ending for an amazing story! So sad that it's over though..I can't wait for the epilogue. I would like to let you know that you've inspired me to write a story! If you want to check it out, here's the link: xxcrosby87xx.blogspot.com

Sam said...

Wow. That was a perfect ending to such a great story. I'm going to miss it, but I'm looking forward to an epliogue.

I'm in agreement with everyone else, I seriously cannot believe that you've been writing this story for over a year. And man, it's been one hell of an adventure, too.

You had me tearing up towards the end as well. I've been reading this since day one and have become rediculously attatched to every single character.

Hopefully you'll write something else for us all to admire. You're so talented. =)

Heather said...

As sad as I am to see it end, I couldn't have imagined a better ending for it.

Kudos!

Kari said...

Congrats, girl. This is the only story that's ever made me cry, LOL. Can't wait for the epilogue, but I'm sad it's over. Great job!

Sports History said...

That was like a whirlwind of events... but you did a spectacular job of pulling it all together. This might sound strange, but my favorite part was when you mentioned that Colby patted Sid's back before the doors opened... there was just something about that. I am looking forward to your epilogue!

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

I don't hate you, believe me. It was such a great story and a great chapter.
I loved how they couldn't wait to see each other, and the flowers, just perfect.
Colby, Jordan and Austin, they just made the chapter complete.
It was a great way to end the story and I can't wait for the epilouge.

distantdreamer said...

Oh wow, it's finished!!! Hard to believe. You did a great job..and I can't wait for the epilogue!! I hope you consider posting another if you have the time and the ideas!