Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Chapter 42

Sorry I'm not able to update more frequently - school/work are keeping me pretty busy. Please be patient with me - I am NOT going to stop writing this story! And thank you all so much for the wonderful feedback - it has definitely sparked some ideas that I am now going to write into the story...;-)

Chapter 42
They spent another few weeks in Enfield, and then Lauren headed home to Pittsburgh to spend some time with her family and to get her things ready to move to Cleveland. When Sidney took her to the airport, she found herself tearing up during the car ride. He squeezed her hand. “Baby, it’s going to be okay. I’ll be back in two weeks to help you move.” he calmly reassured her, even though his own heart was aching at the thought of going back to his house without her.
“I know. I just hate this already.” She let out a heavy sigh as she looked out the window.
When she got home later that afternoon, she sent Sidney a text message, knowing he would be with his trainer and wouldn’t be able to answer the phone.
Hey baby. I’m home and I miss you. Love you – call me later? I’ll be thinking of you until then...
She sighed, sending the message. When she got to her house, her dad helped her carry her suitcases up to her room and she flopped down on her bed. She picked up her phone and listened to it ring until she finally heard his voicemail.
“Hey baby, I just wanted to hear your voice, so I guess your voicemail will have to do for now. I don’t even want to think about going through my boxes in the garage – have I mentioned I hate moving? I love you. A lot. Call me later when you get a chance. I love you – did I mention that?” She hung up and started to unpack her suitcases.
About an hour later, Sidney called her back. “Hey!” she said cheerfully.
“Hey you. I loved your voicemail.” He said, chuckling.
She laughed too. “I thought you’d appreciate that. How was training today?”
“It was good. He made me run.” Sidney said.
“Oh?” Lauren said, knowing how anxious Sidney got about running. He told her that he once stood at the starting line for close to fifteen minutes before he could will his feet to move. If he was racing another person, he was fine. But when he was racing against his own time, he couldn’t explain it but it just made him so anxious.
“Yeah, it was a little rough. But once I got going, I did pretty good. Overall, it was a good workout. I like running with you better, though.” He added.
“You just like beating me. I can’t help it that your legs are much stronger than mine.” She defended.
“Hey babe, I’m gonna go get a shower since I’m still dripping in sweat. Call me before you go to bed, okay?” he said.
“Mmmm, thanks for the mental picture. If I wasn’t so damn far away, I’d offer to join you.” She said playfully.
He groaned. “You have no idea how badly I wish you were standing in my shower waiting for me right now. No idea.”
“Oh, if memory serves me, I have a pretty good idea.” Lauren said, causing him to laugh.
“You’re killing me, Lauren.” Sidney whined.
“I promise I’ll make it up to you in a few days when you get here. Hurry up already, I miss you.”
“Miss you too, baby. I love you.” He said.
“Love you too. I’ll call you before I go to bed.” Lauren hung up the phone, and Sidney headed off to take a cold shower.
A few days later, Sidney returned to Pittsburgh. They spent time with her family and they spent time with the Lemieux’s too. One afternoon, they were having lunch in a quiet cafe.
“So what’s on the agenda for this afternoon?” Lauren asked in between bites.
“Well, I was wondering if you might want to go look at some houses with me?” he asked.
“That sounds like fun!” she replied, linking her fingers with his as they left the cafe and hopped into his Range Rover.
They looked at a few different houses that afternoon. One home really caught his interest. Each room they went through, Sidney couldn’t help but picture Lauren in it, wrapped up in his arms. When they went through the kitchen that had dark marble tile and cherry finished cupboards, he could picture them making breakfast together. And when they walked through the living room with beautiful cathedral ceilings, he pictured them curled up on the couch, wearing sweats and watching movies all day. And in every bedroom they walked through, he imagined making love to her every night for the rest of their lives. That’s what he wanted with Lauren – he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her.
He loved her more than he ever thought anyone could ever love another person, and normally the thought of relying on another person that much would have scared him, but with her, it just felt normal, like everything was right. He chuckled to himself, and then blushed sheepishly when she shot him a quizzical look, and he realized he had laughed out loud.
“What are you thinking about, darlin?” she asked him, running her fingers up and down his arm.
“You.” He grinned down at her. “I was just picturing us living in this house.”
“Us?” she repeated, swallowing hard, but not releasing her grasp on his arm.
“Yeah. I mean, I know you’re moving to Cleveland soon, but I can’t help but think about when we move into our home.”
She smiled warmly at him, her eyes sparkling like emeralds. “I can’t wait for that day, Sidney. Our home. I like the sound of that.”
“Me too.” He said, kissing her forehead.

6 comments:

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

Aww she`s leaving soon, it`s going to be so sad. I can`t wait to see what happens next.

pensfan4life said...

I am a big fan of your story! They are sooo cute together, of course!
Keep up the great work and good luck with school!

Sports History said...

I have a lot of thoughts lately... part of me thinks she won't go. Another part thinks that something is still going to happen with Jack. Another part senses a woman coming into the story to annoy her and try to get with Sid... Hmmm... maybe you won't do any of those things, which is fine. Hahaha. I love it, whaever you decide to do.
~Traci

Tay Tay said...

UGH! This story is SO sweet! I am officially addicted! I love the way he pictured them doing things in each room, and when he had the epiphany... of you know, he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her and stuff! Anyways, you are a terrific writer! Please update soon!

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it, love it...I can't wait to see how they do apart...more soon, please.

Sam said...

Aw that was so cute. I loved the thing about the house. I'm sad that she'll be leaving but they'll work it out. Please post more and good luck with school and work. =]