Sunday, September 14, 2008

Chapter 46

This chapter sort of skips things ahead a couple of months.

Chapter 46
Once she got into the swing of things, Lauren’s semester seemed to go by pretty fast. Sidney was busy with hockey and she was busy with work and school. She had been home a few times to go to Sidney’s games. She loved the exhilaration of watching him play, the atmosphere of the locker room, the determination in his eyes every time he took the ice. She just couldn’t get enough.
At the end of the semester, Lauren moved home for a few weeks. She dropped her suitcases off at home and immediately jumped back in the car and sped down to the rink to surprise Sidney. He didn’t expect her home for another three days, but she had managed to get out early. She walked into the rink and sat down in the stands to watch the team practice. A moment later, she felt someone tap her on her shoulder. “Lauren?”
“Vero! It’s so good to see you!” Lauren said, standing up to give Vero a hug.
“You look wonderful! How have you been feeling?” Vero asked, taking a seat next to her.
“I’ve been feeling pretty good, thanks! I’m glad to be home for a few weeks.”
“I’m glad you’re here too! I’ve missed having you around, and I know Sidney has too. Sometimes I’ll notice him just staring off into space with this sad look on his face. I’m sure he’s thinking about you.” Vero said, grinning.
“It’s hard, Vero. I hate being away from him so much.” Lauren was interrupted by someone pounding on the glass. She looked down to see Sidney smiling up at her and waving frantically. She giggled and turned to Vero. “He found me.”
The two women walked down to the ice and Sidney burst through the gate and scooped Lauren up in his arms, pulling her out onto the ice and twirling her around. Lauren kissed his lips passionately and broke out into a laugh when she heard his teammates whistling and letting out cat calls. Sidney set her feet down onto the ground, but held his arm around her waist so she wouldn’t slip on the ice.
“Lauren!” Jordan said, coming up behind her and pulling her out of Sidney’s grasp and into his embrace. “How’s my favorite redhead?”
Lauren squealed as he pulled her around the ice. She had missed this. She had missed their energy and their laughter and their goofiness. Sidney came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.
“Lauren! I am glad you are back.” Marc-Andre said. “Let’s hit the showers, lover boy.” He said as Sidney leaned in to kiss her cheek again, causing Sidney to blush and another round of cat calls to break out.
Lauren spent the next 20 minutes catching up with Vero while they waited for the boys to shower and change.
“Wanna go grab a bite to eat with the guys?” Sidney asked her, sliding an arm over her shoulder as they walked towards the parking lot.
“Sure! But then after that, I want you all to myself. We have some catching up to do.” She winked up at him.
“We sure do, babe.” He said, nibbling her ear.
“Seriously, get a room.” Jordan groaned as he walked past them.
“Oh, I think they plan to.” Max said, flashing them a million dollar grin. Lauren and Sidney both turned ten shades of red.
“Leave them alone!” Vero exclaimed. “You’re just jealous.”
After dinner, Lauren followed Sidney back to the Lemieux’s house. Nathalie, Lauren (Mario’s daughter), and Stephanie were sitting in the family room, watching a movie. “Hey everyone. Look who I brought home.” Sidney said cheerfully as Lauren walked in behind him.
“Lauren! Sidney said you weren’t coming home for another couple of days!” Nathalie said, hugging her.
“I wanted to surprise him. It’s so good to see you all.” She said as Lauren (Mario’s daughter) and Stephanie both hugged her.
“Well, I know he’s glad you’re back. He gets a little mopey sometimes without you.” Nathalie said. Lauren squeezed his hand and he shrugged his shoulders.
“It’s true.” He admitted, leaning down to kiss her forehead.
“Awww!” Lauren (Mario’s daughter) and Stephanie squealed like typical teenage girls.
“Hurry up and marry her already!” Lauren (Mario’s daughter) said.
“Lauren!” Nathalie scolded her, but Sidney and Lauren seemed unfazed. “Where have your manners gone? Besides, I’m sure Sidney will ask her when he’s ready.” She said, winking at Sidney as she shooed her daughters out of the room.
“That Nathalie is a smart woman.” Sidney said, resting his forehead on Lauren’s.
“Yes she is.” Lauren responded, understanding what he was talking about. She knew Sidney would ask her to marry him when the moment was perfect. And she couldn’t wait to say yes. But then again, neither of them was in any hurry. For now, they were just happy to be back in each other’s arms.
The next morning, Sidney felt Lauren slip out of his arms. “Baby?” he murmured.
“Shh, go back to sleep. I’m going for a run.” Lauren said, leaning down to kiss his forehead and smooth his hair.
“A run?” he said.
“Yeah, it’s pretty nice out this morning and it hasn’t snowed in a few days, so the sidewalks are pretty clear.” In the shadows, he could see her pull her long-sleeve under armor down over her sports bra.
“Can I go with you?” he asked somewhat hesitantly, knowing she often preferred to run alone.
“You’re always allowed to come with me, silly.” She said as she went to his dresser to pull out his under armor.
A few minutes later, they stepped outside into the cold December air. They took off into a jog. A little while later, they ended up in their park. They slowed down to a walk and Lauren grabbed Sidney’s hand. “It’s beautiful out here when it’s so peaceful like this.” She said.
“Mmmhmm.” He agreed. It was a little after eight, so they were alone in the park.
“So what do you want for Christmas?” she asked him.
“You.” He said with a cheesy grin.
Lauren rolled her eyes. “Well, you’ve already got me, so what else do you want?” she said.
“Really, Lauren, I just want to spend time with you.”
“Hmmm, well I’ll see what I can do about that.” She said, an idea coming to mind.
“Come on. Last one home makes breakfast!” She grinned, taking his hand and breaking out into a run.
He stayed next to her most of the run home, but when they hit the Lemieux’s mailbox, he ran ahead of her up the long, winding driveway. She just laughed as she caught up with him on the front porch.
“You are so ridiculously competitive, Sidney.” She teased, rolling her eyes. “You don’t even let your own girlfriend win.”
He pouted his lip out and pulled her close to him. “Well, how about I make it up to you by letting you have the shower first?” he said, kissing her lips.
“I don’t know about you, but I wasn’t planning on showering alone.” She said, a seductive grin playing on her lips.
“I think I like your compromise better.” He grinned, chasing her up the stairs.
After a playful romp in the shower, they headed down to the kitchen to make breakfast. Lauren made their favorite, peanut butter and chocolate chip pancakes. Mario had left while they were out running, but Nathalie and the children slowly made their way down to the kitchen as Sidney and Lauren were eating. Lauren put some more batter on the griddle and her and Sidney took turns flipping pancakes for the kids to eat.
After breakfast, Sidney asked Lauren if she wanted to do some Christmas shopping with him. “I need to get some things for Taylor still.”
Lauren bundled up into her hunter green pea coat and cream-colored scarf and hat, and Sidney slipped on a black pea coat and a dark grey toque.
“I must be insane for doing this.” Sidney said as he parked his Range Rover in the mall parking lot. “I apologize in advance if we get mobbed.” Sidney had called ahead to the mall and told them he would be coming in, so there were a few plain clothes security guards looming around when they stepped inside the mall.
At first, a few people recognized him but didn’t really approach him. But after a little while, Lauren started to notice a small group of people following them from store to store. “I think we have a shadow.” She said, nodding behind her.
He sighed. “Yeah it looks that way.”
“Mr. Crosby, can I get your autograph?” a teenage girl asked.
“Sure.” He said, letting go of Lauren’s hand to take the sharpie that was offered to him.
“And a picture too?” she asked is a sugary-sweet voice. She was being nice, but Sidney’s patience was starting to wear a little thin.
The crowd started to hover more and Sidney looked at Lauren nervously. He knew she got a little anxious in big crowds, and these people were starting to stand a little too close for his own comfort as well. Cameras were beginning to flash everywhere and he could see the mall security starting to approach. He leaned over and whispered in Lauren’s ear. “Meet me at the car in 15 minutes?” he said, handing her the keys.
“Yeah, be careful.” She said. He nodded and kissed her cheek, causing another eruption of camera flashes.
Lauren worked her way through the crowd and left the store. 15 minutes later, as promised, Sidney slid into the driver’s seat. She grinned at him as she handed him a chai latte. “Mmm,” he said as he took a sip. “My favorite.”
“I know.” She grinned, taking a sip of her own.
“How the heck did you have time to stop for coffee in that mob?” he inquired.
She laughed. “Well, actually, one of the security guards came up to me and started apologizing profusely for the crowd. I told him it was okay – it’s nothing we haven’t encountered before. But anyways, he insisted on escorting me to the car, and I asked if we could stop at Starbucks on the way out. I figured you’d need a treat.” She smiled.
“Let’s get the heck out of here.” He said, throwing the SUV into gear and driving out of the parking lot.

7 comments:

Christen said...

Ahh I love this story!! <33

I can't wait for the next update!!

Sports History said...

I don't know what it is... but I just sense that something big is coming. Something bad, too. I know you said something big or a big change was coming but I don't think you mentioned if it was big/good or big/bad. Something about this chapter makes me all but certain that it is big/bad. I absolutely cannot wait!
~Traci

Oh, and I loved it as always... how can she not just totally dump Sid and date Staal? Really... and also, love the Max million dollar grin - spot on!

Aeryn said...

Loved it as usual. I loved the part with the catcalls, and I loved Max's comment. Can't wait for more! :)

Katie said...

Oh man I love it! I can't wait to read the next update.

Sam said...

That was so cute. I love this story. The catcalls and Max's comment were hilarious. Please post more soon! =]

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

I agree, great chapter & I love Max. Can`t wait for more.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all the above comments, girlfriend...can't wait for more...