Friday, September 26, 2008

Chapter 53

Another win for the Pens tonight! And Siddo was the 1st Star!

Chapter 53

Later that night, Lauren gave Sidney directions as they drove towards Drew’s apartment. She linked her fingers with his as they walked in. It was kind of crowded, so it took a little while for Lauren to make her way around, saying hello to old friends and introducing them to Sidney. They all gave her some sort of sign of approval, causing Sidney to blush wildly each time. They were talking with Drew when Lauren noticed Ben come in. His eyes lit up when he saw her and quickly made his way over to where they were standing. “Hey!” he said, pulling her into a tight hug. He held her against him for just a moment too long, and Sidney cleared his throat quietly. He wasn’t really the jealous type, and neither was she, but Sidney didn’t like the way Ben was looking at her, especially knowing they had a history.

Lauren slid her hand back into Sidney’s and watched her fingers disappear into his. She squeezed his hand, hoping he would get that awkward look off his face. He responded with a more genuine smile and she rewarded him with a kiss on the cheek.

About an hour later, Lauren retreated to the kitchen to get some refills for her and Sidney. Ben followed her in. “So, uhh, it look serious.” He said.

“What does?” she asked blankly.

“You and the hockey player.” He tried to hide his emotions, but she caught on to his disgusted tone.

“His name is Sidney. And I’m sorry you don’t like him, but yes, it is very serious.” Lauren said quietly, keeping her tone even and calm.

“Really, Lauren? Because from where I see it, he doesn’t seem like your type at all.”

“Oh really?” she chuckled. “A lot of people would say the same thing about you. And I loved you, remember?” she replied.

“Loved.” Ben repeated quietly, rolling the word over his tongue in contemplation. “Lauren, here’s the thing. I still love you. And I want to be with you. This time things would be different.”

Lauren looked at him with wide eyes, unable to speak. Sidney walked into the room, having overheard their conversation. He looked at Lauren with an expression she had never seen emanate from his eyes before – uncertainty.

“Uhh, look, we were kind of in the middle of a conversation. Could you give us a few minutes alone?” Sidney whipped his head around to face Ben, sparks flaring in his eyes.

“So you can try to get your little paws on my girlfriend? I don’t think so.” Sidney spat angrily, wrapping an arm around Lauren’s waist. His grip around her was firm, but not so much that he was hurting her or anything.

Lauren looked back and forth between Sidney and Ben, and then looked in Sidney’s eyes. “Sidney, please give us a few minutes alone? And then you and I can leave, I promise.”

He looked at her hesitantly, but nodded his head. “I’ll go get our coats.” He said quietly.

“Thank you.” She kissed his lips, knowing Ben was watching them. “I love you.” She whispered in his ear. He gave her an uneasy smile before disappearing back into the living room.

Lauren took a deep breath and turned to face Ben. “Outside. Now.” She said flatly.

“Lauren, just let me explain myself.” he began, but she cut him off.

“Now. Unless you want to cause a scene.” She turned on her heels and stepped out the back door onto the balcony, and Ben followed.

“Listen, Lauren,” Ben started, but she cut him off again.

“No, you listen. I’m with Sidney. I love Sidney. In fact, I am madly in love with Sidney. And he loves me too. We are very happy together. I don’t love you anymore. I don’t want to be with you.” She exclaimed.

“Lauren, I just, I love you. And I really think you and I are meant to be together. You deserve someone who will be there. Not like him – I’m sure he’s always leaving you to travel to games. You don’t deserve that.” Ben said.

“You know what? Maybe I don’t deserve him – but it’s not because he’s always leaving. If anything, I don’t deserve him because he’s the greatest man I’ve ever met. Maybe he deserves better than me. But none of that matters because Sidney and I love each other. I love him, do you hear me?” she said, her eyes blazing with anger.

“Yes, I hear you. But I think someday you’re going to wake up and realize how much better your life could be with me.”

“Better? Yeah, because my life was really so great when you were getting drunk and yelling at me all the time for all the problems in your life. We’re done, Ben. Goodbye.” She shoved past him, not wanting him to see that he had frustrated her to the point of tears. When she stepped back inside, she furiously wiped her eyes, thankful no one else was in the kitchen.

She walked back out into the living room and found Sidney by the door, her coat in hand. He helped her into her coat, and she gave him a meek smile. “Thanks.” She said quietly.

“Yeah.” He said blankly, opening the door and walking out of the apartment. She followed him down to the car and she could see him clenching and unclenching his fists, like he did when he was angry but didn’t want anyone to know.

They were silent until he started the car. She turned her body to face him. “Sidney?” she asked quietly.

“What?” he snapped, his anger more obvious than he had wanted.

“Sidney, are you mad at me? I swear, I didn’t know this was going to happen.” She said, fresh tears forming at her eyes.

“I know, but it didn’t help when you agreed with him and wanted to speak to him alone.”

Lauren narrowed her eyes at him. “Agreed with him? Is that what you think that was? I just didn’t want to cause a scene. I was furious at him for what he was saying, but that doesn’t mean I wanted him to be completely humiliated by having to stand there and see the smug look you would have gotten on your face when I told him I didn’t love him and that I love you.” Her voice was getting louder, as she was quickly matching his anger with her own.

“Whatever.” Sidney mumbled. By now, they had arrived at the Lemieux’s house. Lauren followed Sidney up to his room and started gathering a few of her things. “What are you doing?” he asked impatiently.

“I’m getting my things and going home.” She answered curtly, looking up only to shoot him an annoyed glare.

“It’s nearly three in the morning! You are not driving home at this hour.” Sidney said, almost in defiance.

“Sidney, I need some space right now. And I think you need some space too.” She answered, raising her eyebrows at him.

“Well you’re not driving home. I’ll stay out on the couch. Or you can. Whatever. You’re just not driving home right now.”

“Ha! That’s what you think.” She spat. She knew she was being a little childish, but then again, so was he. “I’ll give you a call after I’ve had a chance to think. Maybe that will be tomorrow, maybe not.” She didn’t give him a chance to answer any further. She took her bag and shut the door behind her. She knew he wouldn’t follow her out – he wouldn’t want to wake up the Lemieux’s and drag them into this.

Sidney paced back and forth in his room for a while before he picked up his phone and called Lauren. As he expected, she didn’t answer, so he sent her a text message.

Are you home? I just want to know if you’re safe.

Yes, I’m home.

Okay. I love you, Lauren. I hope you know that.

Of course I know that. And I love you too. I just need some space right now. I’ll talk to you soon…


Sidney let out a heavy sigh as he fell back onto his bed. He stared at the ceiling for what seemed like hours. He knew he was being stupid, but he just got so pissed when he heard her ex-boyfriend professing his love for her and pretty much telling her how much better her life would be if she got back together with him. What he hated most about that Ben guy was that he had a point – Lauren deserved someone who could be there all the time, and Sidney knew that as long as he played hockey, he couldn’t be that guy for her.

5 comments:

gilld22 said...

I love this story Lauren, I really hope they sort things out, they are meant to be together.

Tay Tay said...

Aw! It's their first REAL fight!

They are meant to be together, so they have to figure things out right?

Can't wait to see what happens next!

Sports History said...

No zombies yet... and no aliens... so far, so good. Hahaha.

But really, it's a logical direction for someone like Sid - I think the most interesting thing is going to be how she reacts to his new outlook. He's not Mr. Hockey for nothing and I am not sure exactly what he will do, but I think her reaction to whatever he does is going to be the true litmus test for thier relationship.

Still waiting for creepy guy and her mad night of wild sex with Staalsy... hahaha.

Love it, can't wait for more!

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

They are meant to be together. Though Sid & Ben both have a point. But they have to work things out. They have to.

Can`t wait for more.

Anonymous said...

I just realized I hadn't left a comment, but I loved these last two chapters and I loved that they fought...I think it is sweet that they can tell each other they love each other, but need the space...update soon, like right now, please!