Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Chapter 61

Chapter 61

The next morning, Sidney’s family arrived bright and early and Lauren was glad to see them. She hated hospitals, like most people do, and she desperately wanted to get out of there.

She signed all the discharge paperwork and they led her to the car that was waiting out front. Troy and Sidney were flying to New York, but they had some extra time so they took the ladies to the gate. A few people tried to stop Sidney for autographs, but the airport security that was traveling with them quickly waved them off. “Not today, guys, sorry.” Sidney said apologetically.

There was a private lounge near their gate, so Sidney and Troy dropped them off there. Sidney pulled Lauren tightly into his arms. “I meant it. All you have to do is say the word and I’ll be right there.”

“I know.” She said, her words getting muffled in his chest. “I’ll be okay. Your mom and Taylor will keep me company. Just get home when you can.”

“I will, baby, I promise. I love you.” He said, looking down into her eyes.

“I love you too.” She said, leaning up to kiss him softly.

An airport security guard approached them. “I’m sorry, but it’s time to go. They’re ready for you to board.”

Lauren nodded and gave Sidney’s hand another squeeze before Taylor took her hand and they walked towards the gate. Taylor sat next to her on the plane, and Trina sat in the row across the aisle from them. There was only one other couple sitting in first class that day, and they looked at Lauren as if they recognized her, but they didn’t say anything to her. Lauren was grateful to them – she wasn’t ready to make small talk with anybody yet.

She slept most of the way home, and smiled when she woke up to find that Taylor had fallen asleep and was leaning against her shoulder. Taylor hadn’t let go of her hand since they boarded the plane. It amazed Lauren how this young girl was handling this so well.

When they got off the plane in Pittsburgh, airport security escorted them down to baggage claim. Lauren thought she saw a few cameras going off as they walked through the terminal, but she tried not to worry about how awful she still looked. She knew Sidney would be pissed if he found out people were photographing her and Taylor.

As the security guard pulled her luggage off the cart, a teenage girl and her mother approached Lauren. “We’re very sorry to intrude, but we just wanted to say how terrible we feel. When we saw what happened to you on the news, we were both just sick with grief. You are in our thoughts and prayers, Lauren.” The young girl said.

Lauren smiled warmly. “Thank you. That really means a lot.” She answered quietly.

“We won’t keep you. We just wanted to let you know that all of the Penguins fans support you.”

Lauren nodded again as the two women walked away.

There was a car waiting to take them home. Lauren had decided she didn’t want to go stay at her parents’ house – she wanted to stay at the Lemieux’s so she could be there when Sidney got home. They had already chartered a flight out for him immediately after the game was over, so he would be home in the early hours of the morning.

They arrived at the Lemieux’s and Nathalie greeted them at the door. “Oh, Lauren!” she cried, pulling her into a hug. “Come on in. Your sister just called –she’s on her way here now.”

Lauren went up to Sidney’s room and her and Taylor made themselves comfy on Sidney’s bed while Trina popped a movie in. A little while later, Leanna flew into the room.

“Oh my God!” she screamed, bursting into tears. Lauren pulled her into a hug. “Le, I’m okay. Well, I’m going to be…it’s going to be alright.” Leanna looked at her and Lauren could tell she was a little put off by the fact that Lauren wasn’t crying. But the fact was, Lauren’s tear ducts had finally run dry and she literally couldn’t cry anymore.

Leanna curled up on the other side of Lauren, and Trina was sitting on the other side of Taylor. Lauren giggled to herself out loud, and the other three looked at her strangely.

“Lauren?” Leanna asked, not seeing any humor.

“Oh, sorry. I was just picturing the look on Sidney’s face when he walks in and sees all these women in his bed.”’

The other three women chuckled too. Someone knocked quietly on the door. “Come in.” Lauren called.

A moment later, Nathalie entered the room. “Are you up to a few visitors? The kids want to know if they can come see you. I’ll tell them to leave you alone if you’re not up to it.”

“No, let them come up. It’ll be good to see them.” Lauren smiled, and a moment later, all four Lemieux children came bouncing into the room. The older three hung back a little bit, but Alexa climbed right up into the bed with them.

“Are you okay? What happened to you?” Alexa asked, looking at Lauren’s bruised face.

Lauren smiled and took her tiny hands in her own. “I’m going to be okay, Alexa. Don’t you worry.”

“Are you sure? Because everyone’s been crying and Sidney’s not here now and he should be here.” Alexa persisted.

“Yeah, I know. It’s a little tough right now. But we’re going to be okay. And Sidney’s at a game right now, but he’ll be home by the time you wake up tomorrow.” Lauren assured her. “You know what might help though? A few more of your pictures. Do you think you could draw me some?”

Alexa smiled and ran out of the room, returning a few minutes later with some paper and her colored pencils. She sat down at Sidney’s desk and started drawing.

A few minutes later, she proudly presented Lauren with her latest creation. Lauren smiled as she took it, but her breath caught in her throat when she saw it. It was a picture of her and Sidney, and Lauren could see skyscrapers in the background. Alexa had written “Montreal” across the bottom, identifying the location of the scene. What caught Lauren off guard, though, was the unmistakable ring that was drawn onto her left hand. Even in a child’s drawing, it was clearly a diamond ring and Lauren immediately started to cry, bringing tears to her eyes that she didn’t know she had.

Nathalie saw her reaction and immediately leaned over to the look at the problem. She gasped when she saw it. “Oh, Lauren, I’m so sorry. She didn’t know. I didn’t know she would draw that. I’m so sorry.”

“No, it’s okay. It’s not her fault. It’s a beautiful picture, Alexa. Thank you. But can you do me a favor?”

Alexa nodded, looking frightened by the sudden reactions of the others in the room over her drawing.

“Can you hold onto this for me? And give it to Sidney when the time is right. I think you’ll know when that is. He’ll love this, I just know it. Can you do that for me?”

Alexa nodded and took the drawing back from Lauren, still looking a little bewildered.

“Okay, kids, I think we should let Lauren get some rest now. You can visit with her more tomorrow.” Nathalie announced, shooing her children out of the room. Once they were gone, she turned in the doorway to look at Lauren. “Lauren, I’m really sorry about that.” She said, her voice heavy with emotion.

“Nathalie, it’s okay. She didn’t know. And no one knew that this was going to happen.”

“But still, I should have warned her that he didn’t get to…well, that things didn’t go as planned.”

Lauren understood what she meant, and suddenly knew what Taylor and Vero’s secret had been the day before. “It’ll be okay. Things will work out the way they’re supposed to.”

“You are an amazing woman.” Nathalie said with a smile before leaving the room.

They watched movies until the game came on and eventually Lauren and Taylor fell asleep. Sidney arrived home around 2:30 that morning. When he stepped in the room, he looked exhausted. Leanna got up and hugged him tightly before eventually retreating to a guest room down the hall. His mom waited while he carefully picked Taylor up in his tired arms and carried her to a guest bedroom. He tucked her in and kissed her forehead. “How did I get so lucky to have world’s best sister?” he whispered quietly before going back to his own room, where Trina had stayed with Lauren, who was still sleeping.

“She tried to stay awake until you got home, but she finally exhausted herself about an hour ago. Taylor never left her side – you would have been so proud of her. She held Lauren’s hand the whole plane ride home.” Trina whispered.

“I am proud of her. Of both of them.” He said, looking over to Lauren’s peaceful looking face.

“Good night, son. I’ll see you tomorrow. Get some rest. You need it.” Trina said, running her hand over Sidney’s cheek. He kissed her cheek as she headed off to bed.
Sidney quietly undressed, trying not to wake Lauren. He gently crawled into bed beside her and pulled her close. She stirred and her eyes fluttered open. “Sidney?” she asked, in a momentary state of confusion and panic.

“Yeah, babe, it’s me. I’m home now. I’m sorry I woke you up. Go back to sleep, baby.” He said, kissing her temple.

“I wanted to stay awake until you got home, but I couldn’t.” she said, frowning.

“It’s okay. You need to sleep. I love you.”

“I love you too. I’m glad we’re home.”

“Me too, babe.” Lauren quickly fell back asleep, and Sidney finally got some real rest too, for the first time in days.

8 comments:

Sports History said...

"I was just picturing the look on Sidney’s face when he walks in and sees all these women in his bed.”

Hahahaha. Love it.

Two things - how on earth is Sid going to bring up the proposal now...

and - Freaking catch Jimmy already... I cannot wait to find out how that goes down.

Oh, and when is she gonna get with Staalsy? Haha

Sam said...

Okay, you are seriously full of surprises. First the whole idea of an engagement a few chapters ago shocked me, the rape, now Alexa drawing a picture with Lauren wearing a ring... OH MY GOD! Seriously I should not read this at night when I want sleep - now I am wide awake. And I agree with Traci, how's he going to propose now? [you'll think of something interesting, I'm sure of it.] Anddd, catch Jimmy soon! Please post more soon! =]

gilld22 said...

How cute was little Alexa drawing the engagement ring. I just know when you bring up the whole engagement thing you will have us all in tears.

I also really wish they would catch Jimmy - I hate him!!!

Val said...

Fabulous, as always, and I'm with Traci and Sam about the proposal, it will definitely be interesting to see what he does, and also catch that rapist! Post soon, please...

CrosbysBabe87 said...

Aww
That was a pretty cute chapter.
Alexa making a picture with her having an engagement ring on was so cute.
Wonder how Sid will propose to her now.

And they need to catch Jimmy!!!

More Soon!!!

Lauren said...

I actually have the whole proposal thought out in my head - I just have no idea when it is going to work itself into the story :)

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

I agree, I know you`ll think of something. Also Jimmy needs to be caught.

It was a great chapter as always and I can`t wait to see what happens next.

mer said...

lauren, i read the Whole story in the past few days and it's too cute :)