Monday, February 2, 2009

Chapter 82

**So, the video itself isn't really important, but I included it so you can hear the song that appears in the chapter - it's a good one! Can I just mention how awesome it is that the Steelers are the first team in NFL history to win SIX Super Bowls! Now, if only my Penguins would steal a page out of that book and start winning some...**



Sidney and Lauren slowly made their way around the house, greeting their family and friends and telling stories. At one point, they got separated, having to resort to stealing glances at each other across the room.

Sidney excused himself from the conversation he was part of and was immediately back at Lauren’s side, who was talking with Nathalie and her mom and a few of her parents’ friends. “Excuse me ladies, but can I steal her away for a moment?” Sidney asked sweetly, flashing them that famous Crosby grin.

Sidney kissed Lauren’s temple as he linked his fingers with hers and led her away from the crowd and towards the staircase that led to his wing of the house.

“Where are we going, Sid?”

“I have a surprise for you.” He said, giving her hand a gentle squeeze as they ascended the stairs.

“I think I already got a pretty nice surprise tonight. It’s going to be hard to top that. Even for you, Crosby.”

Sidney just responded with a smile. When they reached his bedroom, he instructed her to sit down and then he disappeared back out into the living room. “Close your eyes.” He yelled from the living room. Lauren rolled her eyes and laughed. “I didn’t say roll your eyes, I said close them. No peeking!” Sidney called out again, and Lauren laughed again at how well he knew her.

“They’re closed! I promise. What are you doing, anyways?” She called back.

“I told you – I have a surprise for you.” He said, coming back into the room.

Lauren could feel him sit down on the bed next to her. She felt his lips on hers and a small moan escaped her lips as he ran his fingers down her jaw with a feather-light touch.

“That wasn’t the surprise…but I couldn’t resist.” Sidney said softly. “You can open your eyes now, gorgeous.”

Lauren’s eyes fluttered open and her whole face lit up when she saw what he had in his hands.

“How did you get this? They’ve been closed for months because of the fire!” Lauren took the fork her offered her and dug right into the peanut butter meltaway sitting on the plate he was holding.

“I called in a favor. I told them what I was planning, and the kind folks at Gullifty’s were more than happy to help out. Really though, I just used this as an excuse to get a few minutes alone with my new fiancĂ©e.”

“I love you. This is all so perfect.”

“I love you too.”

They ate their dessert and put the plate on the nightstand and Sidney flipped his stereo on. Lauren smiled when one of her favorite songs came on and he held his hand out to her. She stood up and walked into his arms and they swayed gently to the music, each lost in their own thoughts.

Lying here with you
I watch you while you sleep
The dawn is closing in
With every breath you breathe

I can feel the change
The change you’ve made in me
But will I ever see
All the things you see in me

When you say that I’m one of a kind
Baby, I don’t see it but you believe
That I’m so strong and true, I promise you
I’ll try to be that kind of man
Because you love me like I am

When it comes to love
I may not know the rules
But there’s one thing I know
My heart belongs to you, just you

When you say that I’m one of a kind
Baby, I don’t see it but you believe
That I’m so strong and true, I promise you
I’ll try to be that kind of man
Because you love me like I am

You show me you love me
With a fire that burns deep inside

When you say that I’m one of a kind
Baby, I don’t see it but you believe
That I’m so strong and true, I promise you
I’ll try to be that kind of man
Because you love me like I am

I’ll never understand
I don’t think I’ll ever understand
Why you love me
Why you love me just like I am…

When he heard Lauren sniffle, Sidney put his finger under her chin, gently pulling her face up to look at him. “What’s on your mind, babe?”

“I was just thinking about a conversation we had a while ago. Remember when I asked you if I would ever get to be happy again?”

“Yeah…and I do believe we went out and had some happy memories that very afternoon.”

“We did…but tonight, Sidney, tonight was…” she stopped to take a deep breath, choking back a sob. “What I mean is…I never thought I’d ever again be as happy as I am right now. I just never dreamed it could ever be like this.”

Sidney kissed her gently on the lips. “I’m glad you’re happy. That’s all that matters to me. And I told you that we would get through everything together, and I still mean that. I’m going to be by your side forever. Think you can handle that without getting sick of me?” Sidney said, trying to get her to smile.

He was rewarded when her lips curled into a grin and she chuckled. “I think I’ll manage.” She said, leaning up to kiss him again.

They were interrupted a few minutes later by a knock at the door. “Come in.” Sidney said with a sigh.

Alexa opened the door and stepped into the room and smiled shyly at them.

“Hey Lex. Whatcha doing?” Sidney asked.

Alexa didn’t answer, but waved Lauren over to her and gently pulled her down to her eye level. Sidney watched curiously as Alexa whispered something in her ear, causing Lauren’s eyes to sparkle. Lauren whispered something back and Alexa scurried out of the room.

“What was that about?” Sidney asked.

“You’ll see.” Lauren said with a smile just as Alexa appeared in the doorway again, holding something behind her back.

Alexa hesitated, looking to Lauren who reassured her. “Go ahead, Alexa. I know he’ll love it, especially coming from you.”

Sidney furrowed his eyebrows again as Alexa held out a wrapped box.

“What’s this, Lex?” he asked, sitting down on the bed to open it. Lauren and Alexa sat down on either side of him, waiting for his reaction.

Sidney took the lid off the box to reveal a picture frame. When he pulled it out of the box, he smiled at the hand-drawn picture. It was the same picture Alexa had made for Lauren when she returned from Montreal.

“See Lex. This is the perfect time. It’s beautiful.” Lauren marveled.

“Thanks. Mom helped me get it framed. It was her idea to get it engraved.”

Lauren ran her fingers lightly over the inscription.

Lauren and Sidney
Forever begins today…

It even had the date on it, further proof that Lauren had been the only one in the dark about Sidney’s grand plan.

“What’s wrong, Sidney? I thought you would like it.” Alexa asked, her voice cracking as tears welled up in her eyes.

“Oh Lexie, nothing’s wrong. I love it.” Sidney replied, wiping away a few tears that had welled up in his eyes and then wrapping his arm around Alexa’s shoulder.

“Then why are you crying?” Alexa asked, still unsure.

“These are happy tears. I am so happy right now, and this picture has just made tonight even more special.”

“We should probably head back downstairs.” Lauren said, standing up and holding her hand out to Sidney. He swung Alexa onto his back and carried her back downstairs with Lauren following behind them, all three of them laughing.

Alexa disappeared into the crowd and Sidney wrapped his arm around Lauren from behind and rested his chin on her shoulder. She snuggled her back into his broad chest and he kissed her neck as they took a minute to watch their friends and family celebrating. “Well, well, well, look what we have here.” Sidney said, pointing through the crowd.

Lauren raised an eyebrow as she saw what Sidney was pointing towards.

“Huh. Well that’s certainly interesting.” Lauren said, taking Sidney’s hand and leading him across the room towards the young man and woman who were talking animatedly on the couch.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like such a loser... this chapter made me cry. lol They are so adorable together. I wish relationships were really like this... maybe they are but they haven't been for me. haha Once again you wrote an AMAZING chapter!

I can't figure out who they were talking about at the end tho...

Caitlin said...

this was sooooo sweet! Is the guy Jordan Staal? I can't wait for the next chapter and the chapters to come! Nice job :)

Anonymous said...

So sweet and cute!

Sports History said...

I'm thinking Mel and Colby have stopped by for a visit...

Adorable chapter, as always.

mer said...

do i smell a sequel ?
it smells like... a love interest for jordan? bets on Lauren's sister...

gilld22 said...

That was just adorable, so sweet and so well written, I felt like I was part of the story!!

I think Colby and Mel have come to visit...?

mrsjordanstaal11 said...

So cute! That was the perfect time for Alexa to give them the picture. I think it might be Colby and Mel, that would make life so much better, if that's possible.

Can`t wait to see what happens next.

Kylie @ Faux Hawks and Follies said...

"Like I Am" is one of my most favorite songs!!

I'm going with Mel and Colby, but then again, I like what Mer is thinking.

I'm not going to lie, I got a little teary-eyed when Alexa gave him her picture. Perfect.

Your updates always make me feel warm and fuzzy. :)

Jess said...

Where can I get a Sidney?! :)

Anonymous said...

Leaving us hanging, Lauren? Just kidding! Great chapter :)

Val said...

This was such a sweet chapter, and I love the song you picked...of course, it was mean to leave us hanging, but that only means you need to update soon! :)

Anonymous said...

ahh the picture!
i'm so happy they're getting married!!

update soon!!!

Lauren said...

hmm...you gals have some interesting ideas about the mystery couple on the couch - any other guesses?


@Jessclub7: first, love the name. takes me back to the S Club 7 on ABC Family days. second, I asked Santa for a Sidney this year, and he failed to produce one on Christmas morning. If I find another way to get one, I will be sure to let you know ;)

Aeryn said...

Okay, now I'm really mad that I didn't check the blogs last night, cause it postponed me from reading this. This chapter was perfect. I was on the verge of tears the whole time, and the music that went along with this only added to the effect.

Great chapter girl! Loved how you put Alexa in there, very cute.

& I too asked for a Sidney Crosby from Santa, but did not find one under my tree. Sigh, maybe next year. And I'm placing my bets on Colby and Mel too. but i'm sure you have some kinda wonderful surprise up your sleeve.

Anonymous said...

WOW. So I've been reading this from scratch on and off for the last couple of days and I have REALLY enjoyed it. I've cried a few times. I don't just see this as a Sidney Crosby story, but as an inspirational love story of two people who were lucky to find their soul mates. Every good woman should be treated like a princess, and Sidney definitely does that in this story.

You are a VERY talented writer. I can't wait to continue the journey with Sidney and Lauren. Thank you so much for this story! It's inspired me to wait out for true love.

Sam said...

Gah! Another chapter where we're left hanging. I wonder who the couple could be?

As many other people have said, you are a fantastic writer [I know even fantastic doesn't fully describe your writing talent] and you have portrayed Sidney as the guy that every girl dreams of.

Please post more soon! ;]

Lauren said...

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! Sorry to have kept you waiting so long - school and work and a conference in St. Louis have been keeping me very busy, but I am hoping to find some time to write this weekend!