Friday, July 18, 2008

Chapter 14

Chapter 14
Towards the end of brunch, Troy said, “Lauren, Sidney has practice today, and then some press stuff, so he’ll be tied up most of the day. But I was wondering if you’d like to come to practice with me for a little while.”
“And then Taylor and I are going shopping for downtown, and we’d love for you to join us for a little girls only outing.” Trina said, smiling at Lauren.
“That sounds wonderful! I was kind of afraid I would have to spend the whole day alone.” Lauren said truthfully.
“Nonsense! We would love to spend some more time with you!” Trina exclaimed.
“Yeah, and besides, I have a lot more stories to tell you about Sidney!” Taylor grinned.
Sidney rolled his eyes at her. “Nothing can be worse than the stories you told last night.”
“I think you’re wrong. Remember that one summer when we took that family trip to Los Angeles so you could play for some scouts and then we went to the beach? You were learning to surf and—“
“Yes I remember Taylor! And there is really no reason to share their awful story with anyone, ever again.” Sidney said, glaring at Taylor, his cheeks blushing.
“Wait a minute, I kind of what to hear this story.” Lauren spoke up, giving Sidney a devilish grin.
“Trust me, you don’t.” Sidney said, groaning.
“I’ll tell you later. When HE’s not here to ruin the fun.” Taylor said, pointing at Sidney.
After brunch, Sidney headed to the rink, Trina and Taylor headed to the hotel pool for a little bit, and Troy and Lauren stopped for coffee and then headed to the rink. When they got to the rink, Troy and Lauren found some seats a few rows behind the bench and sat down.
“So, I have to ask, has Sidney talked to you at all about the media and fans?” Troy asked her.
“Well, we’ve sort of talked about it, but we both kind of want to just live each day as it comes. I’ve thought about it though.” Lauren replied.
“I just don’t want you to get hurt. The gossip mill is a pretty nasty place and Sidney has been the victim of it on more than one occasion, and they won’t hesitate to drag you in too.” Troy explained.
“Hopefully they won’t prove me wrong later, but I’m pretty strong-willed. And I’m a pretty private person too, so I won’t be going out of my way to make anything more public than it has to be.” Lauren said.
“Sidney mentioned you were pretty tough. He’s really taken with you, you know that?” Troy smiled.
She smiled. “I’m sure I’m the not the first person to tell you this, but you have a very special son. I really enjoy being around him. And you should be proud of the way you raised him – he is such a gentleman.”
“We are very proud of him. He has a good head on his shoulders. He always makes good choices. And you just might be one of the best he’s ever made.” He smiled warmly at her.
“Thanks Troy. It means a lot to have your stamp of approval.”
“I’m just glad to see my son so happy. And seeing him this worked up is kind of amusing too – you certainly give him a run for his money!” Troy laughed.
“I do what I can.” Lauren laughed.
“Oh, and don’t let Pat bother you. Don’t take it personally if he’s not friendly – that’s how all agents are. Besides, I’m pretty sure if Sidney catches him being anything less-than-nice to you he’ll cut his head off.” Troy said. They both laughed.
They spent the rest of the practice talking about the rest of the season, and Sidney’s home in Nova Scotia. At one point, Sidney looked up at them and waved, and he winked. She blushed a little and Troy laughed.
“I definitely don’t think he was winking at me.” He said.
Lauren laughed too. “No, probably not.”
After practice, Troy dropped Lauren back off at the hotel “Well, thank you for coming with me. I’m glad we had the chance to sit down and talk. I can see why Sidney likes you so much.”
“I had a lot of fun. And I can definitely see that Sidney takes after his dad.” Lauren said. As he pulled away from the hotel, Lauren went inside and up to the room his family was staying in. She knocked on the door and Taylor greeted her, still wearing her swimsuit.
“Lauren!” She said, pulling her into the room and closing the door behind them.
“Hey Taylor! Did you have fun at the pool?” she asked.
“Yes. How was Sidney’s practice?” Taylor replied.
“It was good. Your dad is pretty cool.”
“Taylor why don’t you go get dressed so we can get some lunch and go shopping!” Trina said. Taylor disappeared into the bathroom with her clothes.
“I hope Pat didn’t scare you away or anything this morning. He means well, but sometimes he tries to control Sidney’s personal life too much.” Trina said.
“That’s what Troy said this morning. I just don’t want to make life difficult for Sidney.” Lauren replied.
“Oh, Lauren. I’ve seen the way my son looks at you. I haven’t seen him this happy in a long time.” Trina confided. “And I’m glad he has you near him in Pittsburgh. I worry about him sometimes.”
“Well, unfortunately, I’ll only be home in Pittsburgh for the summer, and then I’m going to Cleveland for grad school.” Lauren said in a sad voice.
“Cleveland’s not too far from Pittsburgh, right?” Trina asked.
“No, only about two hours. But between his busy schedule and mine, I don’t know if our free time will coincide.”
“You two will figure it out. I know my son, and he’s one of the most perseverant people I know. He’s happy when he’s around you and he’ll find ways to see you.”
“Thanks Trina. This is all so new, but I’m already worried about what the fall is going to bring.”
“Try not to worry about it too much now. After all, you guys have all summer yet.” Trina said reassuringly.
“Ready!” Taylor exclaimed, emerging from the bathroom wearing a pair of jeans and a hoodie. The three women headed off to the mall. A few hours later, they were starving, so they stopped for lunch at a little café in the mall. Taylor loved telling Lauren stories about Sidney, and Lauren loved seeing how much she adored her big brother.
“Lauren, will you come and visit us this summer?” Taylor asked.
Lauren looked and Trina briefly and Trina smiled. “Well, if Sidney invites me, then I will try and make the trip.” Lauren replied.
“Oh, he’ll definitely invite you. He hasn’t stopped talking about you since he met you.” Taylor grinned.
“I agree. We would love to have you come to visit this summer. And I can guarantee my son won’t object either.” Trina said, winking at Lauren.
“Yes!!! I can’t wait!” Taylor said excitedly. Lauren laughed. She loved his family. And they seemed to like her too. A little while later, they headed back to the hotel.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, that was a really good chapter. More please?

Tay Tay said...

I LOVE THIS STORY TOO MUCH! I AM ON THE BRINK OF OBSESSION! haha, I love it! Please write more!

CrosbysBabe87 said...

I love this story!!
Cant wait for more!!