Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Chapter 19

Chapter 19
Even though they were in different cities, each busy with their own lives, Sidney and Lauren continued to get even closer. They talked on the phone every day, usually more than once, and were constantly texting each other. They would play games like 20 questions, and got to know each other inside and out. They learned each other’s likes, dislikes, favorites, and most importantly, what they looked for in a relationship.
Like he usually did, Sidney sent Lauren a text message mid-morning one Thursday morning. During her lunch break, she saw it.
What are you doing this weekend? Xoxo – Sid.
They hadn’t seen each other since that weekend in Montreal, which was over a month ago. She responded quickly.
I have an event here on campus on Friday, and then Saturday I’m going to watch the Pens game on TV. You should watch – their captain is HOT!
She smiled as she clicked send. They were always joking around with each other like that.
I think I’ve heard of him. Isn’t he the one with the amazing girlfriend?

Yeah, I think that’s the one. He’s a pretty lucky guy, huh?

The luckiest, babe. The luckiest.
Before she could respond, he sent another message.
So you’re free Saturday night and Sunday then?

Yep, I have a few lessons to write, but I’m hoping I get those done tonight and tomorrow night. Why?

Don’t make plans. I’m coming up after the game on Saturday!
After reading this, Lauren squealed with delight and then remembered she was still in her empty classroom, and the students would be coming back up from lunch at any moment.
Really?! I can’t wait to see you, Sid. I’ll call you after school.

Can’t wait. And yes, really. Go teach those kids about something really important. Like hockey. :) Miss you babe – xoxoxo
The rest of the day went painfully slow. Lauren was desperate to talk to Sidney about the weekend. At the end of the day, instead of staying to correct some papers like she usually did, Lauren threw them in her bag and practically skipped out the door, phone in hand.
“Hey! I was hoping you’d call soon!” Sidney’s said cheerfully when he picked up the phone.
“You better not be messing around with me, Crosby. Are you really coming up this weekend?”
He laughed. “Trust me; I would not joke about something like this. I am definitely coming to see you. I already made a hotel reservation and everything.” He knew that Lauren only had a twin bed at her apartment.
“You’re the best. This week has been so crazy, and it’s going to continue to be crazy, but now I have something really amazing to look forward to.
Luckily the rest of the week went pretty fast. Pretty soon, Lauren was curled up on the couch, wearing Sidney’s sweatshirt (from the night in Montreal – he’d let her keep it) and watching the game on TV. She had cleaned the apartment from top-to-bottom about three times (Lauren was a neat freak, however Beth was not). She didn’t really have to clean her room at all since it was always neat anyways. She was screaming at refs when they made bad calls or anytime someone checked Sidney, which was pretty often. Lauren swore the Canes specifically had two men on him anytime he was on the ice. At one point, Sidney took a hard check into the boards and she yelled so loud that the guys who lived across the hall, Tom and Chris, came over to see what the racket was about. She opened the door and when they saw she had the game on, they asked if they could hang out and watch it with her. “Umm, sure.” She said. Beth was usually the only one around when Lauren was watching the games, so she could speak as freely as she wanted about her status with Sidney. The guys however, didn’t pick up on her hesitation, and plopped down on the couch next to where she was sitting.
After the game, one of her neighbors, Tom, looked at her. “So, no offense or anything, but you really know a lot about hockey for a girl.”
She smiled, thinking of all the conversations she had had with Sidney about hockey. “Well, I’ve always been a big Pittsburgh Penguins fan, but my boyfriend is a HUGE hockey fan, so we’re always talking about it.”
“Who’s your boyfriend? I’ve seen Kevin (AN: Beth’s boyfriend) in and out of here, but no one else.” Tom said.
“Well, he’s from Pittsburgh, not too far from where I live. We met over Spring break.” Lauren explained. She really hoped Tom wouldn’t press for any more details, and luckily, he didn’t.
After the game was over and Tom and Chris had gone back to their apartment, Lauren started pacing around the apartment. She knew it would be 3 or 4 hours before Sidney would get there, but she couldn’t wait to see him. She watched the post-game interviews and maybe she was imagining things, but he seemed like he was particularly anxious to get away from the reporters. She grinned, knowing it was because he was coming to see her.
About 4 hours later, her cell phone rang. “Hey beautiful! I’m outside your apartment building. Are you ready?”
“I’ve been ready for since the game was over! I’ll be down in like 2 seconds!” She had already grabbed her overnight bag and was already out the door and practically jumping down each set of stairs. She ran out the front door and her face lit up when she saw Sidney leaning against the front of his silver Range Rover, wearing a baseball cap and sunglasses. She through her bag down and ran over to him and flung herself in his arms. He held her tightly around the waist and buried his head in her neck, losing his hat in the process. They both had huge grins on their faces. He looked into her green eyes and kissed her passionately. After a minute or so, Lauren broke away and smiled at him. “Let’s get out of here before you cause a scene.”
He laughed and opened the passenger door and helped her in. He grabbed her bag and threw it in the back before getting in the driver’s door. He started to put the car in gear when she stopped him. He looked at her puzzled.
Lauren leaned over and kissed his cheek. “Now we can go.” He laughed at her and put the car in gear. As they drove down the street, he took her hand and kissed it. They drove down to the shore of the lake and found a secluded beach. He grabbed a blanket from the back of his car and they sat down and watched the water for a while.
They were laughing and joking around and then they just held each other and watching the water. All of a sudden, Sidney jumped up. “I’ll be right back.” And then he ran back to the car.
He returned a moment later and instructed Lauren to close her eyes.
“Why?” she asked.
“Because I have something for you.” So she obliged and closed her eyes. Then she felt his lips on hers. He gave her a sweet, short kiss. She opened her eyes and smiled at him. “Okay, so that wasn’t what I brought you, but I couldn’t resist. Close your eyes again.”
Lauren just giggled and closed her eyes again. He took her hand and placed something on it and told her to open her eyes. In her hand was a small jewelry box. She looked up at him wide-eyed. “Relax.” he said, reading her mind. “I’m not proposing…well, I mean, someday I plan to, but not today.” She smiled and relaxed and opened the box. In it were two silver rings, with small diamonds all the way around. He took them out of the box and took her right hand in his hands. “This one,” he said, placing one ring on her finger, “is because you have my heart. And this one,” he said, sliding the second ring down so it stacked on top of the first, “Is because you are my soul.”
She just smiled at him, unable to find the words to say. He continued, “Lauren, you are my heart and soul. I love every second with you, and hate every moment that we’re apart. Seeing you smile just makes all the stress in my life just melt away. I love you, Lauren.”
“I love you, too, Sidney. More than anything in the world.” He kissed her deeply, and like always, Lauren saw fireworks. They lay on the blanket for a little while longer, just holding each other. Lauren held her hand out in front of her, admiring her rings. “They’re beautiful, Sidney. Thank you.”
“I just wanted to give you something special, something different. You’re not like anyone I’ve ever met before. And I love you for it.”
“I love you, too.”
“And I love hearing you say that. And with that, I’m ending this before it gets too cheesy.” They both laughed. Sidney helped Lauren fold up the blanket and then he carried her on his back to the car and they went to the hotel.
(AN: To see what the rings look like, click here. You may have to disable your pop-up blocker. Just picture two of them stacked on each other.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh! This is about the sweetest story ever. Keep writing it...please!!

Tay Tay said...

awwww! Sidney is such a sweetie! When he gave her the rings and the whole "heart and soul" bit, I went OH! HEART AND SOUL! It took me a minute to figure out, but I got it. haha, I can't wait for the next chapter.

Carrie said...

absolutely adorable.<33
i'm in love with this story.

Erika Zimmerman said...

dear boys,
why can't you all be like Sidney?
lovelovelove, Erika